Wednesday 20 April 2016

The Barbarian King

A few years back my brother was visiting and he commented on my horrid cutting boards. I didn't think much of it. The next time he came, he brought me a present - a cutting board - with the condition I throw away one of my old ones. The next time he came he brought me another one. Now that my cutting boards are replaced I really should invite him over and point out my chipped cereal bowls! ;)

Recently my brother bought his first house and I thought it would be nice to give him a bit of a housewarming present. As a joke I bought him a cutting board with the idea of wood burning something manly onto it. You would not believe how hard it is to find a simple wooden cutting board in this town. After about my 4th store I lucked out and found a set of bamboo cutting boards.

My family has been playing Clash of Clans and the idea of a giant Barbarian King on a cutting board amused me to no end, and really, what is more manly than that?

If you do this I recommend doing it outside - maybe it is just the bamboo but the fumes were a bit much. Of course I only think of doing these type of things in the winter so not only did I get a headache but the house smelt like burnt bamboo for a few days.

I transferred the picture to the board by placing a newspaper underneath my printout - ads with lots of dark ink work the best, and tracing over the lines. It was enough for me to easily see the lines.


It actually turned out pretty good for my first time using a wood burner. I did make a mistake in one spot, but now I can't even pick it out...never mind, I see it!


Pretty manly and terrifying, right? My brother thought it was pretty funny, says it its the best thing in his kitchen. I'm not too sure about that but it was fun to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment